Tips to Find the Right Products for Your Hair Type

How to Find Products to Care for Your Hair Style and Hair Type

It took me a long time to realize that I can't change my hair type, so I may as well find the right products to tame my hair. I no longer haphazardly pull hair products from the shelf thinking that just anything will do. I've spent a little time figuring out what hair care products work best for my hairstyle.

Study your hair to find the right hair care products for you.


Take time to really look at your hair. Notice the texture, thickness, and whether your hair has body or tends to lay flat.

I have medium length hair with a little curl in the back. My hair is thick all over, full bodied in front but flat in front. My hair stays thirsty. If not conditioned well, it gets too dry in winter. During the summer water, sand, and chlorine sap my hair dry. Dry hair is brittle, so I have to be careful of split ends.

Analyze your own hair before you try to determine which products are right for you.

Try a variety of hair styling and hair care products.


A certain combination of shampoo and conditioner may work for me, but may not work well on your hair type. You may not like the smell of certain products once you give them a try. A hair care product may not do what you expect it to do. Don't be strong-armed by your stylist to use only the product they recommend. Try different brands until you find the hair care product that works best for your hair type.

Use a new shampoo and conditioner for two to four weeks before making a decision.

Give new hair shampoo or conditioner long enough to work before you make a decision about whether it is right for your hairstyle. Some shampoos and conditioners you will not like, right away. It's fine to change, but when you are looking for a shampoo to help strengthen fragile hair, moisturize dry hair, or keep oily hair under control it may take time for the product to work.

Remember it takes time to remove the residue from the last hair care products you used.


I need a shampoo and conditioner that adds shine, but if I use a shampoo with volumizer in it the back of my hair flies out of control. Knowing this about my hair type enables me to make a shampoo purchase that will enhance my style. My combination hair requires a standard shampoo, but because it is dry I need a shampoo that hydrates and strengthens my hair.

Choose mouse, gel, or holding spray based on your hair's volume and style.


Not every gel volumizes, not ever volumizing spray holds your hair. Find a hair styling product that will enhance your volume if you have flat hair. I use a root lifter in front. The back of my hair has volume, so I don't use a volumizer. I do have a little curl which I like to use for style. That requires a light gel to set or hold the curls, but dries soft.

Determine what kind of hold you want for your hair style.

Use sculpting lotion or gel if you need definition for a short hair. Long, soft, curly locks will be held by spray. Use soft drying spray if you want your hair to move, use an "ultra hold" product if your hairstyle has to be held stiffly in place.

Check your hair's luster, or shine.

Hair luster can be affected by hair color and/or condition. Add sheen to styled hair with a finishing spray. I don't need additional sheen if I keep my dry hair well conditioned. I use a conditioner that hydrates my hair and adds shine without weighing it down.

Alternatives for adding shine include color enhancing shampoo and conditioner. Texturizers will help tame split ends and give also give your hair a smooth, shiny look.

Find products that will keep your hair soft and supple.


Hair styling and finishing products should enhance your hair. If you find a product is drying or damaging your hair stop using it. If the product cakes your hair and is difficult to remove without using a harsh shampoo, switch hair care products.

Your objective in choosing hair care products for your hair type is healthy, beautiful hair.

Don't trade healthy hair for style, and don't trade a beautiful style to keep your hair health. You can have both beautiful and healthy hair for your hair type by finding the right hair care, styling, and finishing products.

The best hair care product for your hair style and type is not always the most expensive. It may not be the cheapest, either. Be willing to be flexible when buying hair care products to find the right product for your hair.

You'll feel better about yourself when you have healthy, beautiful hair, regardless of your hair type.