Hair Care from the Kitchen: Crisco Pre-Poo Treatment

A couple of weeks ago in my natural hair group, the topic of using Crisco on hair came up. Immediately I was against it. Seriously, who wants to smell like a bucket of KFC? After some discussion, I conceded that maybe Crisco would make a good pre-poo. So I pulled out a jar, a few hair-friendly kitchen items, along with a can of Crisco, and started mixing.

Crisco Pre-Poo Treatment

I recently had to use an anti-dandruff shampoo that contained sulfates and sea salts. Both ingredients were very drying on my afro textured hair. Unfortunately, my standard pre-poo was not providing adequate protection against the shampoo's drying effects. So, I decided to mix together a pre-poo containing Crisco to help counteract the drying effect of the shampoo.

I applied the mixture to my hair in small sections using the shingle method to really coat it. I covered it with a plastic cap and warm towel then left it for an hour. Typically with a pre-poo you rinse it from the hair before shampooing. This time I left it in and shampooed it out. I followed with my Carol's Daughter Tui Hair Smoothie and a cold water rinse to help close my hair cuticle.

Did the Crisco Pre-Poo Treatment Help My Hair?

Yes it did! I instantly felt a huge difference in my hair. Where the shampoo initially dried my hair out and made it very frizzy, my hair was now soft and manageable. My curls were back and I was happy once again.

Crisco Ultra-Moisturizing Pre-Poo Treatment

In case you were wondering, I did not just slap some Crisco on my hair and called it a day. However, some people do just use the Crisco by itself. For me, the Crisco needed a little beauty boost.

Ingredients

• 4Tbsp of Crisco shortening

• 2Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

• 1Tbsp of Mayonnaise

• 1Tbsp of Honey

• 2Tbsp VO5 Herbal Escapes Free Me Freesia Conditioner (for fragrance)

• 1 - 8 to 16oz jar

• Wooden spatula

Instructions

1. In the jar add, ingredients as listed.

2. Start mixing with wooden spatula to blend.

3. Stop mixing when you have a consistent, creamy texture with no or very little lumps.

I am no longer scared of Crisco. My hair is soft and manageable. Plus, I can now use the type of anti-dandruff shampoos that work well for my scalp without fear of my hair drying out. If your hair is very dry and no other treatment has worked for you, give this Crisco pre-poo a try. Hopefully it will help your hair stay moisturized and manageable like it did mine.