Laser Teeth Whitening - What You Need to Know

As an alternative to teeth whitening strips, laser teeth whitening is becoming increasingly popular these days. And with good reason, it is more convenient and a lot easier to have done than wearing whitening strips in your mouth.

Perhaps you have found yourself in the same shape as so many others. You look in the mirror and the teeth you see make you upset to say the least. Or, you never like to have photos taken because your teeth look the way they do. I can understand since I have also been there with you.

I am a heavy coffee drinker and one of the worst enemies of whiter teeth is coffee. With nearly 20 years of coffee drinking under my belt, my teeth looked more yellowish than they did white! I knew I needed to do something, but I didn't know what would work and what would not. So, after seeing all the ads for the teeth whitening strips, I bought some of them and started using them.

I used the strips every day for almost a month, just as the directions told me to. After seeing no visible changes I became frustrated and talked to my dentist. I should have done that to start with, but I didn't. Anyway, my dentist said that perhaps I should consider laser teeth whitening. Of course I had no clue as to what this was or what kind of procedure was involved. He explained to me that laser teeth whitening is a simple procedure whereby a gel is applied to your teeth and then activated through the use of a laser. The laser is the key to making the whole procedure work.

After talking with the dentist I decided to give the treatment a try. I scheduled an appointment and I must say everything went off without a hitch. The procedure was painless, very simple, and lasted no more than an hour. It is said that laser tooth whitening will increase the whiteness by up to 10 shades, and I believe it. I was very impressed with the results.

How long will the teeth whitening last? The dentist told me I can expect my teeth to stay as white as they are now for 2-3 years in my case. I say my case because I am such a big coffee drinker. There are other cases where it will last upwards of 7 years in certain instances. It all depends on what types of foods or beverages you consume or whether you smoke or not. Thanks to laser teeth whitening I can smile now and not worry about what my teeth look like anymore.